Wednesday, June 3, 2009

6/2/09 Lesson - The Key To Transitions

Lies in Collection... Oooh.. Now if that doesn't make me sound like some Dressage Bimbo, I don't know what will. What has happened to me?! That Blog title I picked when I started.... That sure wasn't what I meant by the question, but it sure fits now, huh?

Jen got to see what nasties Ransom's been offering up as trot-to-walk transitions. We concentrated a little while on the walk to halt, then trot to walk. From walk to trot, he's gorgeous. We got his walk to halt pretty, and for trot to walk, no transitions were allowed until he was collected & forward. I am still finding the trot to walk tricky. It's easy to push forward, add leg, release rein aids, but it's hard to say "slow down, pony, but keep a big walk, and give me your back." It's probably also a muscle development issue which will improve over time.

Had one HUGE lightbulb at the canter-right. I wasn't using enough outside rein, and didn't realize it. I have been so busy concentrating on my legs and seat, hands/reins have gone to the wayside. When I shortened my outside rein before asking for canter, he was much easier to round & collect. I also was able, for a few strides on a circle, to get that same light canter-feeling I had at Barbara's. It was all in my inside leg. With the outside rein steady, inside rein pulse, inside leg squeeze pulsing, he elevated his stride up, and was incredibly forward. It was wild. A really big canter, convering some serious ground on the circle, but it felt considerably more UP than it did FAST.

Lessoned for an hour, with homework of transitions, bumping on the rein to keep him light, and remember the outside rein at canter. All good stuff to work on. We're talking tentative plans to show Intro and GAG in Mid-July. I must get practicing & studying on my tests, huh?

No comments: