Monday, April 21, 2014

4-20 What I Saw , And What I Heard

I had to know, Was he really lame? Was he hurt? Was it a bad day? I put H out on the longe line , and stared. Short but even trot, Dare I ask for canter? I did, and he gave it. Left, and right. Dang.

Turn on forehand. Nothing. Clean. Turn on haunches. Clean. I stood a while and watched him.  He was licking and chewing. Hmm...

 Sent him back out on the circle.  Still sound. Wtf .  He was dead lame Saturday.  I checked his feet. Clean and when I pushed with the hoof pick, no reaction.   I stretched his front legs and he enjoyed it. I stretched back legs forward and back, more yawning and licking. Hmm...

 Had I been more brave, I would have sat on him to feel. No saddle, suspect lameness, and I knew better.  I quit him before anything else happened, not real sure wnat was going on.

Then, later in the day, I find out BO hasn't ridden above Training in YEARS. More, she hasn't been competing in a very long time. What did I do?   I had her ride him?! I've lost it. Totally.   I let peer pressure talk me into not only letting her ride, but I almost let her tell me *I* can't ride well enough to own Harley.  What the heck was I thinking ...

I've nearly relaxed about it today,  but I'm still ticked at myself. I didn't listen to my gut and stop when he was off.  I didn't give him a scratch show, and find someone I trusted to check him out.  I didn't consult anyone that has seen me ride consistently.  I'm almost over feeling like I let him down.
 Almost...
























No comments: