So, I took some pictures tonight after a long discussion with MrsMom. And MrsM, here's the pictures we promised you. :-)
Rear hooves, from the front. :)
The sore spots are at the top center of those heel bulbs - where they're meeting at the frogs. There's little cracks, and I was able to doctor them a bit .. stuffed a little cotton smeared in TriTec antibiotic ointment. He stood real good right up until the last, then when I had to spread some heel away to get the cotton in, he let me know about the pain, trying to gently yank his hoof from my hands. I got cotton in one "gap" on each hoof - see here..
Left rear - cotton on the "gap" on the inside "side" of the heel bulb.
As I look at the pictures, I see the more severe "cracks/gaps" are on the insides of the heels, rather than the outsides.. Hmm..
MrsMom has been awesome so far, and I want to publicly thank her for the help. We're going to get Harley happy on his hooves again soon!