Friday, February 10, 2012

2/8 & 2/9 Quicks

Romeo and I puddled around in his bareback pad 2/8. Walked around the yard, down the road a little bit, and around his pasture. Nothing fantastic, nothing training/teaching, just a walk/trot stress break that I needed. He gets an eager look when I greet him in the bridle rather than the halter. Bit in first thing, he realizes "this isn't going to be work, just a quiet walk."

Harley and I rode last night just before the rain storms came. Endurance saddle, since I didn't feel like getting my dressage or hunt seat wet. He was good, and quiet. Stiff asking for a nice collected walk. Trot work was quite good, canter work improves each day. I sat the trot, and he started shortening his stride. Ugh. Yuck.

Also rode Harley through some leg yields early in the ride. Improving. First time I tried it, things didn't go so well. I settled for a step or two of effort. Last night, got quite a bit more. I was riding up quarterlines and yielding to the rail. Fantastic results. He stayed quite straight, and, while he didn't have huge cross-over steps, he was making the effort to work himself over to the rails without bending his neck. Nice job kiddo.

1 comment:

SunnySD said...

Sounds like progress on the saddle - third time's the charm, maybe? Hope things are looking a little brighter on other fronts, as well. Great to hear that you're finally getting some moisture down there, even if it does cut into riding time.