Monday, September 13, 2010

9/11/10

Romeo and I got up early, before the morning sky released the heavy sunshine. It was daylight, but not by much. Western gear, bit & all. Off to the arena we went.

He tip toed over the dewey grass, in a long walking warmup. I felt his backhalf loosen up, as his walk gained swing. Up to a trot, and I got a jog. A light, low headed jog. Serene, almost.

Brave, I tested his bare hooves on the wet gras at canter. He tip toed, best I can explain it. It was the lightest, slowest, gentlest canter I've had on him ever at first-go. Usually, I can settle him into that gait after ten minutes of canter circles. However, that morning, he was easily into it.

I played with collection & a loose rein. We "came & went" at the trot, extending & shortening his stride. He was agreeable and behaved. A few deer sprinted across the new mowed pasture, and while his ears "looked" his mind didn't. Very refreshing.

Maybe Romeo knew it was a day of remembrance & mourning. Maybe he felt it in my blood. I had already watched some of the news recapturing Ground Zero, the Towers engulfed in flames, rescue workers shuffling screaming citizens down the roadways. Maybe Romeo knew I had other emotional things on my mind, things I can't put words to, things I want to fix and don't know how. I'm not sure. But that little fellow's spirit and way of going completely mirrored my mood. And the ride fit my needs exactly.

No comments: