Wednesday, July 21, 2010

7/20/10 Ransom Bareback over Poles

It was hot, I wasn't feeling so hot, and while I wanted to ride, I didn't want to "work". I grabbed Ransom, stuck the bareback pad on him, used the loose ring twisted wire bit, and stuck my helmet on. Off to the arena we go.

I warmed him up on a long, loose rein. Ransom quickly realized the best break he could get was to stay long & low. If he stayed soft, forward, but loose, he could remain at a sweeping walk. When he raised his head, and strung his back out, I added rein contact.

With a ten minute warmup complete, I picked up trot. His trot felt nice, collected, and forward! No ittie bittie steppie here! "Ah, what the heck?! He's been great today, it's still pretty warm out. I better get to business quick, so we can get done in short order."

I trotted over the one ground pole on the dressage-circle, and then approached for the line of pre-set "halfacavaletti" trot poles. Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce. Good boy! Ransom didn't change stride over the poles. I felt myself squeeze my knees into his ribs, looking for a way to "hang on" over the poles. We repeated this four times heading trot-left, until I was able to stay relaxed over the poles & maintain the rein-release. Changed direction, and rode them trot-right in a similar manner.

I gave Ransom a ride-break, moved the pole out of the way of the circle, and rode canter both directions. The canter felt sweet, easy in and easy out transitions. Very relaxing to focus on loose seat & hips, and heels-down. Ransom seemed to appreciate the less-than-perfect collection request.

If I hadn't been alone, and had gotten a teensie bit of motivation, I might have set up a crossrail, and rode over it. I was feeling particularly silly & brave last night. Maybe for the best I didn't carry out that courage.

Total ride - another 45 minutes. Happy to be aboard my horse, focusing a little less on him, and a little more on me. :)

No comments: