Thursday, December 16, 2010

12/15/10 Fifteen with Ransom

Ransom and I rumbled to the arena, where I put on his twisted wire O-ring, and hopped on. He was a little jittery in the sharp wind gusts. That makes me laugh, you know? He's 20 years old, almost 21, and he still squirts at the tree limbs blowing around.

Rode all three gaits, both directions. I actually was able to lean forward, sort of in a two point, for his canter, which was pretty fun. Most of the ride was just walking, though. I laughed at him and his amazing work ethic. As soon as I sat down on his back and grabbed the reins, he bent his neck and nose, and I felt his back round up. He thinks everything is work work work, and I can't blame him. He's worked his whole life, at something or other. No reason for him to know any different.

I didn't ride long. His feet are long, and he's due for a trim. He tripped a bit, and felt very stiff. Three days off, with zero warmup, and long feet, usually leads to some stumbling.

One more Ransom ride scheduled for Friday ... I'll put the saddle on that time, though, and probably let him think it's a workday.. One. Last. Ride.

No comments: