Thursday, July 24, 2008

OOOOH... Response to Comments, firing back up...

Thanks, ladies, for the kind remarks to yesterday's blog, along with the one I received externally. I was horribly ticked off when I wrote this, and after I sent a follow-up note to him similar, he responded a bit kinder.

What ticked me was a remark that with his clients there is "no room for mistakes." When I brought that back out as justification for me being upset, I got this long lecture about how difficult my horse's contracted heels, thin walls, and sensitive soles are. There was some other remark like "doing me a favor" by performing the service. Yeah, a "favor"... costs me every month.

He offered to clear my balance as a truce-gesture. I told him, "thank you, it is your decision to do that, and while it's horribly generous, and not necessary, I won't argue". If I have a chiro bill, and any subsequent abscess charges as a result of that bloody nail, the balance I owe should about make us "even", nothing to be said for all the days off work for both of us.

It's worth mentioning that, the last time my horse was quicked this severe, it sat dormant for about a month, a festering abscess. One Saturday afternoon, I found him three-legged lame, swollen, and stagnant, acting like he'd torn a tendon or broke his leg. After an afternoon on the phone, convincing him to limp on the trailer, driving 30mph for an hour and half to the vet, an Equine ER appointment and many heartbreaking tears later, I had a $400 bill and a blown abscess at the coronary band. The stupid thing is finally about grown out. Every time I see the Equilox rasped off, and get a view of the leftover 'hole' growing out, I want to cry all over again. Yes, I was justified in being upset last Friday. It was a miracle I didn't cry or scream on the spot.

Rain bands continue to hammer the area. Work evac'd early yesterday, but I got tied up trying to figure out to do with getting other co-workers out, and left "on time" (for the first time all week). Boss is back in town, and that finally relieves me of the extra responsibility. I can go back to just doing my normal job now. Chewie and Romeo stand in the pasture, patiently grazing and waiting for the storms to pass.

2 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Your horse has thin walls, contracted heels, and sensative soles BECAUSE someone, somewhere along the line, shod him like crap for a WHILE.

Contracted heels are a result of a couple things: LEVERAGE, NOT trimming the heel PROPERLY, and a shoe locking that leveraged, untrimmed heel in place.

I suggest your farrier get some continuing education. It is available. All over the place. Online even, for free.

Not trying to preach to you, nor "convert" you to barefoot etc... But your horse deserves The Best. (OK, so I tend to think EVERY horse out there deserves The Best... and we treat our few remaining clients accordingly.) Hoof care providers, IMO, OWE it to their cleints (ie: the HORSES) to continue to keep up with their education. To understand the research available to them. To learn more skills, and utilize them.

Any of them out there who choose NOT to provide that standard of high quality service, do not need to be in the business....

OK, off my soap box... (Sorry bout that!!)

Jennifer said...

Some of it is breed tendencies, at least that's what I read...

I wish I had other choices. Here in the country, it's this guy, or worse.

Tried a different guy, who, after admitting he couldn't drive a nail without quicking or getting close, insisted Chewie go barefoot. That barefoot had him lame for two months. Ended up with that nasty nasty abscess I already spoke of.. the $400 one.

Wanna move? :) I'm gunshy to take a hammer & nail to my horses... big time.