Wednesday, November 12, 2008

11/11/08 Chewie

Tacked up, off to the round pen. Dark clouds were looming... and my nerves got frayed. Goofy neighbor (who defines Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck culture, and confirms it for me every time I see or hear him rustling next door) decided to shoot at something.. twice, actually. Once while we were standing at the trailer, I swear it was a hunting rifle, gunfire towards my house. Scared the jeebies out of me.. he's too close to be shooting towards my house...

Side rein warmup - with a lot of canter work. He fought the side reins a bit to start, then got increasingly better. I wanted to ride, so I walked back to the front, plugged the lights in, and crossed my fingers I still had two lights. Bingo! Two lights on the pole still work, and the round pen is fully lit. I jumped on, and walked him out, yapping on the phone the whole time. The hunting rifle went off a second time while we were out there, and I just didn't want to chance it going off a third time while I was on Chewie's back, asking for a transition. Nutty neighbor.

Worked him about 45 minutes total. Cowboy Les and I have been talking a lot about working with Chewie, and I'm trying to figure out when to get Chewie to his place for training. Romeo's so darn cooperative now, and I flat out enjoy riding him. I want Chewie and I to have that much fun together...

Rains are glooming up the skies again today. No worries - we need it. I still haven't had so much at the house to be sploshing in puddles to reach the barn. I won't complain about the rainfall until I have to wear galoshes and splosh my way around, with the round pen under water..

No comments: