I found a Fugly post yesterday, troubling, and amusing. She told the tale of a trainer entering a seasoned world-class show Appy horse in a novice hunt seat class at a local schooling show, kickin' ass & takin' names.
Now, ya'll know me to be fair & usually a good "loser" at shows. I don't like being dead-last, but in my dressage tests, I always try to score higher, learn something, and improve myself. I don't ride dressage to "beat the other riders", nor for the ribbons. I ride dressage for the score sheets and the comments, always trying to get better. That being said, I have a HUGE pet peeve in the show pen.
Veteran ribbon thieves. You know who I mean, too. Those professional walk-trotters, and "novice green riders" who are terminally stuck in these classes just for the ribbons, trophies, saddles, and buckles. They're the ones that always have an excuse why their rider, or their horse, just HAVE to stay in that level, ruining it for all us greenie riders who are learning and trying to improve. Honestly, how many times have you attended a show and come home empty handed because "so&so" was in the same classes as you, in the open local show, and you both know next week he/she will be in the World Show Top Ten? It burns my bottom!
So, when I saw Fugly's post, I got brave. I found Miss Sarah's website, and I sent her this...
You know they're babbling about you on Fugly.. Just turn in the ribbons and it'll all go away..
*signed, a novice rider who hates cheaters that steal ribbons from beginners, even in the little open shows*
And Sarah was brave enough to respond. Here's what I learned...
- They got permission from the Show Manager, AND the judge, to be in the class Fugly watched.
- They didn't take any ribbons for the class, but in fact, left them at the gate.
- The Show Manager suggested Sarah file a lawsuit for all the harassment.
- Many Fugly-freak followers have been harassing Sarah from her website, but most without leaving valid contact information.
- They admit they were there to school, and wish they'd done it differently.
- Sarah apologized in nearly every email she sent me (all 4 of them).
- Sarah wants to apologize via email or phone to ANYONE she upset or offended.
So.... I won't waste the Fugly space with another comment about this issue. For anybody that followed it, and is still upset or bothered, leave Sarah a comment on her website, with VALID contact information.
Now, who wants to email Horse&Rider and tell them about their new columnist stirring up false information about another trainer? I'm a little busy at work today, so I'm looking for volunteers!