Monday, October 4, 2010

10/1/10 Ransom Stickie

In what appeared to be morning protest, Ransom and I rode dressage. It wasn't pretty. It was in fact, ugly.

Transitions? Fail. All three gaits.
Walk? More like pokealong. In a free walk, he was decent. Working walk on any kind of rein contact? Dragging, tripping, ugly.

What finally shook the lazies, was the canter. Forward! Hello! I concentrated hard. What was I doing to encourage THAT much forward motion? My goodness, he was getting after it, hard!

And I caught it. Sit Up! If I slouch my shoulders, without realizing it, my seat is telling him, "go go go go go!" At one point, I sat up tall trying to evaluate what I had done wrong. Suddenly, Ransom eased his canter stride, shortened it, and became very uphill.

So I sat up through the rising trot. A serious improvement. Sat the trot a while - again, sit up tall from my waist up, and his gait improved.

Did the transitions ever get beautiful? Nah.. ugly. But we were going somewhere, and the moving collection improved.

No comments: