Monday, April 8, 2013

4/8/2013 Harley

I almost made it.  I was >> << that close to riding both horses 5 straight days.  But after Harley today, my legs are burning.  There's just no way.  In fact, I'm sitting here blogging to avoid standing in the shower.  *sigh*  I'll get back there eventually.

Harley and I went out dressage.  After I read SunnySD's comments, I put a LOT of effort into holding my arms down at my sides.  When I did bend, it was right at the elbow.  I kept this consistency by making sure my upper arms could "feel" my shirt sides.  This was pretty successful.

Harley was NOT impressed.  It was kind of funny.  He fought me quite a bit, and would hold a few strides, then lift his head *and lower his back*.  He'd get back to "good", then lose it again.  So yeah, I think he's developing still.  I can see in his longeline side rein work that he's improving. 

I also tried to do better about LOOKING where we're going.  It's weird.  I'm not usually staring at his head.  I'm looking.. uhm, nowhere.  does anybody else do that, or is it just me?   I'm thinking, arms, legs, shoulders, heels, where are my spurs.. ooh that stride felt good.  release, nope, hold him.. half halt , good.. forward. forward... and I totally forget to look UP. 

I did ride in my tall boots and spurs today, and definitely noticed the difference.  From the video, I did recognize I might be pushing too hard, expecting a bigger trot than he's capable of.  Today, he definitely was easier to keep going.  I will work up the courage when we ride next in the jump saddle to put the spurs on and "cowgirl up". 

Mo didn't seem too disappointed in me today for skipping him.  I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't even walk him down the road.  But, my legs are still howling after all this typing.  I'm hoping some hot water will help. 

Thanks again, Sunny, for your feedback.  It was definitely helpful, and I hope you'll see the difference when I video again.

3 comments:

SunnySD said...

Ouch! Hope your soak kills the burn. Not sure I'd say you were pushing too hard, more that occasionally it looked like you were working harder than he was :)

I'm enjoying the frequent riding vicariously - I managed to hop on all four (Rufus and Amyra literally got about 60 seconds of me sitting on them and Thunder and Sunny both got a few minutes each) one night last week. But then the wind settled in, and they're saying storms tomorrow and Wednesday. Can't complain too much since we need the wet, but I haven't had a really good ride since November :(

Unknown said...

I find I have to remind myself to look up. It's easy to forget when you're the only one in the arena.

Briana said...

Glad to hear it's not just me that looks "nowhere"--I know I don't look DOWN, but it's not UP either! Too many things to keep track of! :)