Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gripe Session - The "Youth of America"

Quite frequently, I read about, or hear about, "this generation".... or "my generation". We're called selfish, irresponsible, weak-minds that don't know what "real work is".

I'm sick of it. I am going to start replying, "Fine! Hate me! But keep in mind, my check's getting garnished for your Social Security. So shut up, or I'll quit working, too." =)

If you're in the older population, I'm sorry you grew up without the internet. If you're reading this, you have it now. I'm sorry you grew up without hundreds of TV channels. If you watch old MASH re-runs, you have those channels. I'm sorry you had a manual labor job as a kid. I painted fire hydrants, I know what work is. I went on a mission trip, contracted mono on the trip, and was sick half of the ten week adventure. I had three part time jobs my senior year in college with a full course load.

What I won't apologize for, is my work ethic. Just because I don't jump in head-first to a problem doesn't mean I'm lazy or stupid. It just means I am smart enough to know that it's better to think about a solution before possibly breaking the situation more. I'll lug horse grain, stack hay, clean house, cook a good supper, and mow my grass like a normal citizen. I keep gas in my truck, and the inspection current. I pay my bills on time, and over-pay when I can in an effort to get ahead.

Keep griping about me and "my generation". The more you put us down, the less motivated some will become. Those unmotivated folks won't pitch into SS nearly as much as you want them to.

No comments: