Wednesday, April 22, 2009

4/21/09 Romeo English Lesson

With the show approaching, it was time to get my rear in gear. I told Ransom, "sorry", and saddled Romeo up in my hunter saddle. (Complete with a more narrow gullet, after much snarling, growling, and other expletives when I changed it Monday evening.)

We had one gigantic disagreement about the clippers, and eventually the scissors, but I did get his legs trimmed up, ears cut trim, and a few whiskers snipped off. The clippers are a matter of panic for Romeo - something I will need to work on.

Lesson went good. I used the copper twisted wire o-ring bit for the first 3/4 of the ride, but then switched to my copper french link o-ring near the end. He was still light on the bit, so this will be the plan of attack for the show (switching bits last-minute). Worked on walk and trot only, and, looking back, a little canter might not have been bad for him. Still, we had a good ride.

I will also ride my two hunter w/t classes in spurs - He was a bit too lazy & slow for an extended trot, and I had to use entirely too much leg to keep him in a nice working trot. All solvable with a little metal-sticker assistance.

Things to remember -
Shoulders back
Shopping Cart hands

Thursday, I'll have another quick lesson in my Western saddle, which should go just as well.

No comments: