Wednesday, August 12, 2009

08/11/09 Romeo

Grabbed my horse, and his english bridle, and headed to the arena. Decided to leave his saddle behind. I wasn't planning on anything dramatic or dangerous, and it was ridiculously hot around 6:00 when we got started.

Let Romeo warm up just a bit, then hopped on. Worked on really only one thing - getting him to stop on his rear end. I'd push him up into a walk on contact, sit back just a nudge, then say "whoa". Right after the halt, I asked for a back-up. Repeat repeat repeat.

Went in both directions, and tried to guide his turns mostly on legs, saving my reins for contact & to get his attention only. After only a few transitions, he started anticipating the back up. Right now, I don't think this is bad. I might change my mind in a month or two if he starts backing up for no apparent reason, but for now, it's good.

When the walk to back was significantly better than what we started at, I moved on to trot to halt to back up. This took quite a bit longer. Then, thinking the halts would be close together, he started trotting short & ittie bittie. So I focused on pushing the trot in comes and go's, and when he was adjusting his stride well, I went back to the halts. They weren't as great as walk to halt, but they should improve over time.

Rode for a total of 45 minutes. We both finished up sweaty yuckie. Romeo on the spots where my hiney was, and, well, me in all the spots that touched the horse. Yuck! =) Easily resolved as I peeled outta my breeches afterwards. =)

Neighbors were banging on something that sounded like pounding t-posts into the ground. Here's hoping they're replacing the two walls of fence we share. Romeo and I both listened intently while they pounded & banged, their shouting conversation that we could hear but not understand.

No comments: